The project takes place in the cross-border region of Constanța (Romania) and Dobrich (Bulgaria).
The districts of Dobrich and Constanta belong to the eastern part of the Danube lowland. This border area is different from the rest of Europe with its outstanding features such as geographic location, proximity to the Black Sea, structure of the soil and climate, ancient history, the formation of characteristic flora and fauna and its unique mix of elements with southern origin in the Pontic, Ponto-Caspian, Black Sea, European and Eurasian species that shapes the unique biodiversity of this region. The Lower Danube is the only area of the European Union with typical steppe landscapes.
An important attraction in the region is the worldwide bird migration corridor "Via Pontica".
Nowadays, the environmental awareness and conservation of biodiversity of each region is urgently needed.
Key project outcomes and benefits
1. Increased awareness of the tourism cluster and consumers of tourism services for the protection of the environment and combat climate change, protected areas and natural landmarks in the cross-border area.
2. Created conditions for incorporated actions for sustainable development of the cross-border region.
3. Increased capacity of SMEs in the tourism cluster for sustainable development, environmental protection and combat climate change.
4. Increased awareness of the tourism cluster on the methods and systems for managing the impact on the environment.
5. Created conditions for certification of companies from the tourism cluster with the European eco-label and EMAS.
6. Created conditions for the development of eco-tourism.
7. Increased interest in eco-tourism and hotels and applying green practices.
Project components and deliverables
1. Publicity and promotion of project goals, objectives and results
2. Strategy for sustainable development of the CBC area
3. Awareness raising campaign for environmental protection and sustainable development
4. Increasing the capacity of SME’s from the tourism cluster for sustainable development, environment protection and combat climate change
5. Awareness raising campaign of the tourism cluster for certification of EMAS and Eco Labelling
Timetable of the project
About the Programme
Name:THE ROMANIA-BULGARIA CROSS BORDER COOPERATION (CBC) PROGRAMME 2007-2013
To bring together the people, communities and economies of the border area to participate in the joint development of a cooperative area, using its human, natural and environmental resources and advantages
Source of financing
European Regional Development Fund
Programme total budget
262 Million Euro
7 Romanian counties: Mehedinti, Dolj, Olt, Teleorman, Giurgiu, Calarasi, Constanta;
9 districts of Bulgaria: Vidin, Vratsa, Montana, Pleven, Veliko Tarnovo, Ruse, Silistra, Dobrich and Razgrad
1. Accessibility:Improved mobility and access to transport, information and communication infrastructure
2. Environment: Sustainable use and protection of natural resources and environment and promotion of efficient risk management in the cross-border area.
3. Economic and social development by joint identification and enhancement of the area’s comparative advantages.